Ram Gopal Varma Blog #152. The REMOTE TERRORist

http://www.rann.sify.com/

Am posting here a 3 minute showreel of “RANN” which would give an indication of the feel, the thought and the look of the film and its characters and their inter-relationships and inter-conflicts with each other.

I just hope that this video once for all will put speculations to rest, speculations such as me attempting to get back at the media for the negative reviews and the constant jabs and digs it keeps taking at me. People feel that the media just loves to hate me, which I don’t believe is true.

The truth is that the media is just interested in only one thing that is to hold its patrons interests and bitching about anyone does create both tremendous interest and pleasure to both the bitcher and the listener.

In an answer to a question on why the media so frequently bitches about me, I said it’s simply because of the frequency and the amount of turnout of work I do.

For example, if the media ripped Sanjay Leela Bhansali after “Saawariya” and Ashutosh Gowarikar after “What’s your Rashee?” the next chance they will get to do that to them is probably in the year 2011 or 2012 as that’s how long they will take to make and release their next film. On the other hand dear old me is ready with some film or the other every 4 or 5 months not to mention some controversy or the other like the “Jana-Gana-Mana-RANN” song or the Taj incident which basically provides the boxers of the media with that many more punching bags of mine.

Coming back to the subject matter of “RANN” I think that the most thankless job in the world will have to be the running of a news channel. For instance, you guys will probably give me 10 to 15 minutes while watching my film before you walk out if you don’t like it whereas we don’t give the News Channels even 5 seconds to hold our interest before we use our remote control to switch to the next channel. As the channel guys know this they operate under the extreme fear of the remote control in our hands. So their whole thrust is to make the news presentation as pacy, as effective and as dramatic as possible in the hope that we won’t flick our remote control button and send them into oblivion. A very senior cop told me after the 26/11 attacks that he thinks the Media people are the Real Terrorists, and I think the remote control is to the Television industry what Osama Bin Laden is to America.