Ram Gopal Varma Blog #170. My Reactions to Reactions

1. With regard to you believing in what Rajgopal believes how can you believe in something just because someone else believes in it?
Ans: As I have been living in Hyderabad since my birth and I know people all over Andhra Pradesh I just felt emotionally upset about the division. But since I don’t have any knowledge or understanding about the subject matter but yet if by the virtue of my position as a resident of Hyderabad I  got affected by the ongoing situation I chose to believe in the integrity and the knowledge of someone I believe in. But obviously if it concerns a subject matter like films which I have a grip on I will depend only on what I personally know and feel about.

I am reiterating that I don’t know the intricacies and complexities of the movements but just belonging to the State of Andhra Pradesh for such a long time I felt a certain pain to see it divided, which I expressed.

2. Why is that, despite their genius no philosopher remains free of errors and inconsistencies?
Ans: That’s because thoughts arise from rational thinking and deeds many times are triggered by emotions and the result of those deeds will again influence the thoughts and thus the cycle of contradictions will keep continuing which will appear as their errors and inconsistencies.

3. When I read one philosopher he seems right and when I read another who refutes the earlier one I find him also right.
Ans: That’s because your understanding capability is lesser than both of them.

4. You are so confusing but you still make sense. How?
Ans: The confusion is because of your inability in getting the point and if I yet seem to make sense it could be because of your overall belief in me.

5. A filmmaker’s personal fascination for any element should not dominate his creative aspect or else he would run the risk of romanticizing his fascination instead of remaining objective. If you let your fascination for criminal elements dominate your vision of a film Satya and Company couldn’t have been made the way they were made.
Ans: Very well observed. I would say that you should zoom in to the subject you are fascinated with while researching and zoom out while putting it in the overall context of a film.

6. I equate strategy to philosophy.
Ans: Philosophy is a theory and strategy should be your very own individual way of twisting and turning it to suit your specific practicalities.

7. You said that your parents believed that you were a useless bum. What was their reaction when you became successful?
Ans: They realized that even useless bums can become successful.

8. Was Sautya made not to appear in Sarkar because of the same theory as why you can’t show Roark?
Ans: No. The actor I cast was not having enough screen presence and acting ability. So I decided not to show him.

9. Could you define hate?
Ans: It’s an emotion which makes you put time, energy and effort towards something which should be just ignored. 

If for any reason you need to destroy something you should do it strategically without your emotions coming in. Battles should never be fought with emotions.

10. Mostly you respond when you are negated or when something of brilliance is said and you ignore both praise and abuse.
Ans: That’s because praise and abuse don’t matter in the larger scheme of things whereas the earlier two add to both my knowledge and thinking.

11. Why do you think people tend to abuse, offend and blame?
Ans: It comes from a mixture of a highly superficial world view and an extremely low self esteem and that you can observe in quite a few bloggers here.

12. Is Rakta Charitra going to be an authentic film on Rayalseema vis-à-vis look and language?
Ans: It’s nothing to do with the region and its language. I am just capturing the spirit of the original conflict between specific people and their unbelievable mindsets, and I am creating an alternate reality of my own to set that story in.

13. Avatar is great but it’s not senti enough.
Ans: One can argue that one has seen a better film than Avatar but nobody can dispute that nobody had seen a film like Avatar.

14. Paranormal Activity did not show anything and used the audience’s imagination whereas Avatar showed what the audience can’t imagine.
Ans: Brilliantly said, Arun.

15. You hate cricket because it’s more to do with kinetics, fitness, ability and less to do with intellect, so you have very less to say about it which can impress others. And besides that cricket steals the attention of the crowd from you and you feel ignored.
Ans: I hate you for understanding me so clearly. Incidentally I hate children and dogs also for more or less the same reasons you mentioned.

16. Why are you just stuck on Ayn Rand and Nietzsche?
Ans: Did it occur to you that I might have gone through all and stopped at these two as I think they are the best.

17. If a film director finds an architect/art director of as high standard as Roark can he make a Fountainhead?
Ans: You are missing the point. The visual medium is finite and you will have opinion differences on anything which is finite whereas in the book Rand’s description causes an infinite imagination thereby making each and every reader respect Roark’s creations that much more.

18. Woman was God’s second mistake – Friedrich Nietzsche.
What was God’s first mistake?
Ans: Himself.

19. When Roark refuses a major contract why does he call his action selfish and instead of compromising for the money why would he keep the structure in his own mind?
Ans: That’s because he wants to live his life completely on his own terms and that’s an ultimate act of selfishness in the purest of its forms.

20. Why is belief in Ghosts called superstition and belief in God called faith?
Ans: Superbly raised point. That’s because superstition can be done away with but lack of faith can tear up the very fabric of both you and the society you live in.

21. Can we scare someone to the extreme point of him not getting scared anymore?
Ans: No emotion is neither absolute nor does it progress linearly and this applies to fear too. As long as it’s always felt in relative degrees with varying intensities you can’t scare anyone till an extreme point as then by definition itself it has no validity.

22. Taste is a result of thousand distastes – Francois Truffaut.
Ans: Distaste can give rise to thousand tastes – RGV

“I love the great despiser for he is a great adorer… an arrow of longing for the other shore – Friedrich Nietzsche.

23. I have come across people who say everything about philosophy but achieved nothing.
Ans: Philosophy is about understanding achievement and it does not necessarily make you achieve.

You can study a snake’s agility, behaviour and the nature of its poison but you can’t become the snake.

24. Reading through your thought process always makes me believe that there is no absolute truth.
Ans: That’s because there’s absolutely no absolute truth.

25. I have feeling that you were a sissy at St.Mary’s and when you moved into a small town college you just used your city brains to become whatever you became.
Ans: You are bang on right and I am impressed that you figured it out and I mean this from my heart.

26. Too many people spend money they have not earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people they don’t like.
Ans: Even more many people bitch about those above people.

27. How important is a title for a film?
Ans: Very much. Will write a piece on this soon.

28. Is it possible for a character to be just a camera p.o.v in the entire film?
Ans: An interesting thought for a short film but am not sure for a full length feature film.

29. Fools and fanatics are certain of themselves and wiser people keep oscillating and are full of doubts. You knew that with your comments on Rajgopal this whole space will be filled with weird noises and the even more weird thing is that you would have known this response already.
Ans:    :)